Going through a bunch of paperwork and mail that had piled up on my desk for a year or so, I found the program from 2007's Barleywine and Big Beer Fest at the Lucky Lab. Actually the program calls it a "Tastival". Let's hope people stop using that word this year. I wasn't blogging at the time, but I scribbled my usual short and incoherent notes on the program. It's alarming how many of these huge beers I claim to have tasted -- we must have been sharing sips around the table, which I think consisted of Lindsey, Corey, Brett, and me.
Anyway, since this year's Ta... Festival is about a month away, and since I was just gushing about Old Yeller, it was interesting to look at the old notes. Indeed, Old Yeller seems to have been a favorite, given these remarks:
- Lucky Lab: 2002 Old Yeller: Textbook. Nice.
- Lucky Lab: 2004 Old Yeller: Better. Coffee/Chocolate.
- Terminal Gravity: 2005 Barleywine: Best so far. Oops, Lucky Lab better.
- Rogue: 2004 Old Crustacean: Good stuff. Hops & brown sugar.
- Anderson Valley: 2006 Beer of the Horn: Yes. But very sweet.
- Raccoon Lodge: 2005 Barrel-Aged Old Yarleywine: Good. [Crossed out: "Textbook."]
- Sierra Nevada: 2004 Bigfoot: Nice hoppy.
- Sierra Nevada: 2005 Bigfoot: Ditto.
- Tuck's: 2005 Glutius Maximus Barleywine: Good.
- Caldera: 2003 Russian Imperial Stout: Good times.
- Caldera: 2005 Russian Imperial Stout: Better times. Spiced.
- Lagunitas: 2005 Brown Shugga: Better than fresh.
- Pelican: 2006 Grand Cru: Very nice. Dark color. Tasty.